Santa Ana Parish

Visit Chinandega Map v2

Open Chinandega Map

 

Our Lady Santa Ana Parish


In accordance with its colonial past and colonial-era urban planning, the city is centered around a central park with the beautiful Romanesque-style Our Lady Santa Ana Colonial Church, a church very important to the city. It has withstood over a century of violent storms, earthquakes, and wars. The church was severely affected by an earthquake in 1885, and was later rebuilt into its current state. This is not the location of the original building in the seventeenth century, however. According to documents from Bishop Morel of Santa Cruz dated June 1751, "This church owns three naves on the river, with its sacristy and choir close by, two small bells, limestone walls, and tiled floors". Two ancient doors in Antigueño style open on the north and south flanks of the church; these survived the earthquakes, including the 1925 earthquake that damaged the façade and towers.

The feast day of Saint Anne is celebrated on July 26 of every year.

The church has been restored to its former colonial splendor, and awaits the announcement that will make it the seat of a new diocese, with the church itself becoming elevated to the status of cathedral.

contentmap_plugin