Corinto

Visit Chinandega Map v2

Open Chinandega Map

 

Corinto

The municipality of Corinto, according to the administrative policy division published in October 1989 and April 1990 belongs to the department of Chinandega, Nicaragua's North West region.

The town of Corinto is the smallest land area of all municipalities of the department, sits on the far west of the department of Chinandega in a bay of the Pacific coast of Nicaragua.

This town, along with the towns of Altagracia, Moyogalpa and Corn Island, are the island municipalities of Nicaragua. It has no land boundaries, in every direction it is surrounded by the Pacific Ocean, being joined to the mainland by two bridges: one for the light vehicles, which is of modern construction and you can notice a pedestrian bridge below the new one that is remaining of the old bridge, there another bridge for heavy trucks located to the northwest along the coast. The railway bridge no longer exists, as only the piers remain. On the streets of Corinto can still be seen the old railway tracks.

General Information:

Town name: Corinto.
Department of Chinandega
Date of Establishment 1858
70.67 sq. km land area
Geographical reference is located 152 kilometers from the city of Managua.

Geographical Position
It is located in the Pacific Ocean on an island that is located on the west coast of Nicaragua between parallels not. 12 º 29 'and no. 12 º 32 'and the meridians and 87 º 10' and 87 º 13 ', (latitude 12 ° 29' n. And longitude 87 º 10 'W), has a natural bay of calm waters and average depth, protected by the island of El Cardon (the cactus) that serves as a natural breakwater. Is based in the south-east of the island of Aserradores north of the peninsula Castañones and west of the Isla Encantada (Enchanted island) at the entrance of the estuaries of Paso Caballos, Guerrero, San Francisco, El Limon and Doña Paula.

Bounds
North: Municipality of El Realejo.
South: Pacific Ocean.
To the east: Municipalities of Chichigalpa and El Realejo.
West: Pacific Ocean.
Population 17,499 inhabitants.

Landforms
For the same geographical position the municipality has no rivers nor mountain ridges. Its municipal territory is flat. Isla de Aserradores is the basis on which sits the town. It also has the small islands Guerrero, Encantada and Machuque. Altitude above sea level: 2.44 meters.

History
The discovery of the Bay of Corinto is due to pilot Andrés Niño, in 1522. Proof that Niño was the discoverer of the bay of Corinto, is the fact the bay appears on the map of the expedition and travel.
Some Nicaraguan historians and chroniclers of the bay of Corinto mentiones it was discovered in 1534 by Captain Gabriel de Rojas, by order of Governor Mr. Francisco Castaneda, who succeeded Pedrarias as interim governor.

On December 20, 1858 decreed the transfer of the Port's maritime customs from El Realejo to the island Punta Icaco on isla de Aserradores (Corinto), without altering its name. The official inauguration took place on January 1859.

In 1875 it was authorized the construction of the first dock with a private company with the right of exploitation for 25 years, thus avoiding the inconvenience of moving goods that existed at that time.

In 1876 the lighthouse was installed in the rocky island El Cardón, overlooking the harbor and in 1882 it was completed the old bridge of Paso Caballos which facilitated the transition to the municipality.

As for the origin of the name of Corinto, there is no a legal basis to support such a thing, and its elevation to city. According to some historians the name is generally attributed to General Tomas Martínez for giving him the name of Corinto, although it is supposed that his friends wanted to take the name of Santo Tomas in his honor.

Tradition and Culture
The main religious festival is held Corinth in honor of La Santa Cruz (The Holy Cross), which takes place from April 27 to May 4, a tradition that keeps alive the memory of their ancestors.
According to their historians, since 1530, the people celebrated the sacred symbol of the cross, which was built with tree branches and danced around it. Over time this custom was known in other places.
Before the foundation of Corinto, the first Mass in honor of the Holy Cross, the Rev. Santiago Bernardo Prado, on May 3, 1861, from that date is still celebrated, and maintaining the tradition of the Indians, first settlers of Iaguey, Punta Conchagua and Punta Icaco.

Environment and Natural Resources
Among the municipalities of Chinandega, Corinto is second in importance to possess the Port of Corinto, Nicaragua's main port in the Pacific Ocean and one of the best in Central America.

Islands of the municipality
Corinto has five islands that are:
• Castañones once owned by Don Manuel Garcia de Quezada purchase made by the royal treasury for ten dimes and a measure of a horse (old measure)
• The Cardón, who was called before San Fernando del Cardón is an island covered with rocks. There it was established in 1876 the lighthouse port of national ownership, on the island in March 1908 during the summer season, Rubén Darío wrote his famous beautiful poem entitled "A Margarita Debayle." Recently, this island was declared a national monument and it was built an image of about 5 feet high of Rubén Darío. The dimensions of the island are 1,440 meters long and the distance from the island to the port is one kilometer.
• Aserradores Island property was purchased from Don Mariano Montealegre.
• Isla de Guerrero, where it was established the general cemetery of Corinto.
• Isla Encantada, formerly the seat and last port of El Realejo.

The town of Corinto has one of the beaches of Chinandega, called Paso Caballos, is a perfectly navigable estuary that separates the mainland from Isla de Aserradores. It is located five kilometers from the port of Corinto and owes its name because in the past it was crossed at low tide by people riding horses.

In the margins of the estuary there are some factories for extraction of edible salt from seawater.

The same position of Corinto of 2.44 meters above sea level, mean that it has problem with the sand and rock retaining wall in the coast and the undermining of the beach in the area known as El Espigón.

contentmap_plugin