Chichigalpa

Visit Chinandega Map v2

Open Chinandega Map

 

Chichigalpa

General Information
Name of Municipality: Chichigalpa.
Department: Chinandega.
Geographic Location: Located in north-western country, is one of 13 municipalities in the department of Chinandega, 12 ° 34 'North Latitude 87 ° 01' west longitude.

Bounds
North: Chinandega.
South: León.
East: Posoltega and Quezalguaque.
West: Corinto, El Realejo and Chinandega.
222.54 km2 land area
Population: 46.185 (INEC data).
Urban Population: 33.344 (72%) - 24 Districts
Rural Population: 12.841 (28%) - 41 Communities
Female: 51%
Over 16 years: 29%
It is located 130 km from the city of Managua.
Height above sea level m.s.n.m. 85.45

History
The word "Chichigalpa" is of Nahuatl origin, consisting of two voices "chichi" meaning female nipple or "chicha" as they say today, and "galpa" meaning "town". The name "Chichi" was given to the San Cristóbal volcano due to its shape and was extended to the Indian village located on its slopes.
Although in reality there are various interpretations, according to historian Ma Elena El Azar, the original name of the township was Cindega Pipil, as the writer José Román, the name of "chichi" was due not to its shape, but because it distilled water during the summer. According to Julian N. Guerrero, comes from "chichigualt" a kind of small gourd and "bread" adverb of place, ie "instead of gourds." According to another version, in Nahuatl, Chichigalpa means "place of the ovens of the potters."

Before the Spanish arrived, Chichigalpa was inhabited by tribes belonging to the group Maribios, this covered other cultures and towns Quezalguaque and Posoltega.

During colonial times it belonged to the township of El Realejo - This township also included El Viejo and Chinandega. Between 1642 and 1700 it was found that 200 Indians had Chichigalpa paying tribute.

In June of 1751 Chichigalpa was visited by Bishop Pedro Agustín Morel de Santa Cruz. He noted that in those years that the patron saint of Chichigalpa was La Purification and that the town was located "in a cheerful plain, hilly with good water, the climate is temperate." In that year, it had 40 indigenous houses that depended on the mayor of Realejo, 62 families and 292 inhabitants. Regarding economic activities indicated the existence of "farm works and neighbors." In 1776 the population rose to 990 inhabitants, of whom 232 were Indians.

In 1776 the political-administrative division of the province was modified according to the reforming ideas of Carlos III. Nicaragua was divided in five parties: León, Matagalpa, El Realejo, Sutiaba and Nicoya. Chichigalpa became an annex to the parish of Posoltega, which in turn belonged to the party of Sutiaba.

In 1813 came to Chichigalpa 8 Spanish friars of the Order Recoletos, who founded a reduction on the banks of indigenous people. This was done with Indians "Caribes" reduced to Christianity. They stayed for 14 years and built the temple of Guadalupe, but this church was destroyed during an earthquake on October 11, 1855. Its ruins are still in the place known as "El Pueblito".

In 1840 Chichigalpa was elevated to Village. On February 5, 1858 obtained the title of Villa. In 1877 the Prefect of Chinandega Prefecto Tijerino testified that Chichigalpa had 3,000 inhabitants and of these 240 were citizens - to be a citizen at the time it was necessary to have at least 100 pesos as equity -. Regarding the economy of Chichigalpa, the Governor said that "one of his most important articles of commerce is the cutting of timber for export."

The Ingenio (Sugar factory) San Antonio was founded on lands that during the colonial period were añileras and livestock farms. Later in the place had different sugar craft. Already in 1851 there was an important activity in the production of sweets and honey. It was founded in 1890 by an Englishman, Mr. Briggs. On September 25, 1894, with President Zelaya, Chichigalpa was recognized as a city, the mayor at that time was Jesus Valle Ramirez.

Chichigalpa was inserted as an important production center for export crops; the first cotton gin known in Nicaragua was installed on its local jurisdiction by a municipal granting on June 10, 1904 by a citizen named Kautz. Later on Chichigalpa was well known for the production of cotton and sugar for export.

Twinning
The town is twinned with Hannover, Germany Singen and Krenzthal, Wels Austria; Albany Dumbarton United States and England.

 

contentmap_plugin